With their intelligent functions, smart speakers and smart displays help us save time every day. But did you know that you can also use them for calls and video calls? At the moment, some of the functions are still limited to certain locations. But in the hope that the range of functions will also be expanded in this country in the future, we will explain to you how this works.
Requirements to make calls with Google’s Smart Speaker
To be able to make calls with your Google Smart Speaker, the following requirements must be met:
- Latest version of the Google Home app on the smartphone
- Google account connected to the smart speaker or smart display
- Reside in the United States, the United Kingdom, or Canada
- The language of the Google Assistant is set to English (US), English (UK), English (Canada) or French (Canada)
How to make calls using Google’s Smart Speaker
As already mentioned, it is not yet possible to make calls via Google’s intelligent speakers in Europe because the service is only activated for the following purposes:
- Call US or Canadian phone numbers from a US or Canadian number
- Call British phone numbers from a British number
- Call international and paid numbers (1-900) if the account is linked to a Google Fi or Google Voice number with credit
Requirements to make video calls with Google’s Smart Display
Unlike normal phone calls, video calls via Google Duo are already available everywhere and you only have to meet these requirements or do the following:
- Install the Google Duo app on your smartphone
- Install and start the Google Home app on your smartphone
- Select your smart display here
- Tap Settings
- Dial calls with Duo and follow the steps shown there
How to make video calls with Google Smart Displays
Once you have everything set up, you can start a video call in which you say “Hey Google” followed by “Call [contact]” or “Video call with [contact]” . To end the call, you simply say “End call” or “Hang up” or tap the End call button .
We would also like to remind you once again that you must allow access to your personal results in order to be able to make video calls or calls via Google Duo with your Smart Display.
Requirements to make calls with Amazon’s Echo speakers
Even Amazon speakers with Alexa on board are able to make calls and video calls. You have to meet the following requirements:
- Latest version of the Alexa app on the smartphone
- Have an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Spot or Echo Show
- Amazon account connected to the smart speaker or smart display
How to make calls using Amazon’s Smart Speaker (Video)
As soon as you have configured the Alexa app on your smartphone and set up the same Amazon account on your Amazon Echo, you simply say “Call Echo from [name] on” or “Call [name of device group]” .
Of course, with Alexa it is only possible to call other compatible Echo devices. Mobile or landline numbers and emergency numbers do not work. Alexa, however, allows you to link your Skype account so that you can make calls using it.
To make a Skype call via Alexa, you have to say the command “Alexa, call [contact name] via Skype” .