You can unlock your Android device using the “OK Google” voice command. Occasionally, however, voice activation may not work. This can be due to an outdated version of the app, for example, or because the function is deactivated.
“Ok Google” doesn’t work – that’s the reason
If the Google Assistant does not respond to “OK Google”, the service may either be inactive or not installed. To check this, press and hold the home screen button on your Android device. If the message “Hello, how can I help you?”, The Google Assistant is installed. If you do not receive a message, you have a device without the Google Assistant.Activate “Ok Google” on devices with Google Assistant:
- Press and hold the home screen button on your Android device.
- Tap the compass icon in the lower right and then your profile picture or initials.
- Call up the “Settings” and switch to the “Assistant” category.
- Under “Assistant devices” select your device and activate the Google Assistant.
- Also activate the “Access with Voice Match” function.
- If you want to unlock your device with your voice, you must also activate the “Unlock with Voice Match” function.
If you don’t have a Google Assistant installed on your Android device, go to the settings of the Google app. There you will find the “Voice Match” option in the “Voice input” category, so that your device can also be unlocked using “Ok Google”.
Update Google app
If the Google app is not up-to-date, this can also be the reason why voice activation does not work as usual. Therefore, check whether there are updates for the application.