If you bought a second Nintendo Switch family console, you will certainly want to transfer your backups from your first model to your new device. Here we explain everything you need to know about the procedure to follow and the information to be taken into account so that the operation goes smoothly.
Do you have more than one Nintendo Switch console and want to use a backup saved to one of the consoles from another device? Then you’ve come to the right place.
What you need to know before you start transferring backups between Nintendo Switch
Now that Switch Lite and Nintendo Switch coexist , users are more inclined to own several consoles in the range. Hence the interest of being able to recover your backups from your old console . But before you start, there are several things you should take into account.
First of all, be aware that the two consoles must be of the Nintendo Switch family and be nearby. They must also have version 8.0.0 or later of the system software. No Nintendo Switch Online subscription required however. The option we are going to use allows you to select only one backup file at a time. You must therefore repeat the operation for each backup you wish to transfer.
Other important information, the transferred data is not copied . Once the transfer is complete, the backup file selected on the source console is deleted . It is a “cut and paste” and not a “copy and paste”. You cannot retrieve the backup from a friend or anyone else. The transfer only works between users associated with the same Nintendo Account .
Read also: how to reset your Nintendo Switch or Switch Lite?
The procedure to transfer your backups from your old to your new Nintendo Switch console
Now that the basics are clear, we can get serious. Here is the procedure to follow to transfer a backup from one Nintendo Switch to another.
On the first console (where the backup is saved) :
- On the source console, go to the Home menu
- Then select Console settings then Data management and finally Transfer backup data
- Choose Send backups to another console
- Select the user to whom you want to transfer the data
- The list of games and software available for transfer appears, choose the one for which you want to transfer the backup to another Switch console
- To finalize the operation, choose to Send the backup data
- The file is sent, and is automatically deleted from the source console
On the second console (where the backup should be sent) :
- On the target console, go to the Home menu
- Go to Settings and look for Data management then Transfer backup data
- Select Receive backups and place the two consoles close to each other
- If there is already backup data for the same software on the target console, you will be asked to choose between canceling the transfer or overwriting the existing backup data to perform the transfer. Please note that overwritten data cannot be recovered later.
- Select OK when the transfer is complete.
And now, voila ! You can now play on your second console from the progress achieved with the first.
As a reminder, the Nintendo Switch Online subscription allows you to benefit from the cloud backup functionality, in addition to the possibility of playing online and enjoying a catalog of retro games. The investment is surely worth it: count 3.99 euros for a month of subscription and 19.99 euros for 12 months.