Want to change your name on Facebook? After leaving the field open to its users in its first years of existence, the social network subsequently strongly encouraged them to give their real name, going as far as limiting the number of possible changes. Today the rules set by Facebook are relatively flexible: you can change your name once every 60 days if you wish. This is very useful in the event of a change of civil status, but also out of mere fantasy, or if you want to intentionally not be easy to find by anyone.
How to change your name on Facebook from PC
To change your name on Facebook from the PC:
- Click here to access the correct section of your account settings
- Enter your new last names, first name and possibly middle name
- You can also add other names that will allow you to find yourself (for example, stage name, nickname, etc.)
- Click Change Preview
How to change your name on Facebook from an Android or iPhone smartphone
To change your name from an Android or iPhone smartphone:
- Open the Facebook smartphone app
- Go to the icon ≡ at the top right or bottom right depending on your version
- Scroll down and touch Settings & privacy> Settings> Personal information
- Touch your name then change it
- Tap Change overview then confirm with your password for the change to take effect
Changing your name on Facebook: the conditions to know
A priori, it is not possible to choose too fanciful names on Facebook. The social network gives its conditions. The name should not include:
- symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, double characters or punctuation
- special characters that do not belong to the same language
- titles of any kind (one cannot, a priori, call oneself “master” for example)
- words or phrases instead of a name
- offensive or explicit words of any kind
Of course, these rules are more or less respected, in particular with regard to the last two (certain puns blithely pass censorship …). In its conditions, Facebook also specifies that the name must match the one on your ID. And formally forbidden to impersonate someone else. Here again, the cases in which Facebook will really ask you for your identity papers are extremely rare – this is never the case for a simple change of name, and it can be seen, we are sure, in the one chosen by some of your friends.
In all cases note that requests for supporting documents in no way legally bind you: and that you always have the option – even annoying – of deleting your account if you do not want to reveal your real identity in the event that Facebook would ask for proof of identity.
How many times can you change your name on Facebook: is it unlimited?
Do you want to change your name from time to time so as not to fix yourself on an identity on the social network? This may not be the best way to proceed: once you have changed your name, and even if it has an error, you will no longer be able to ask Facebook to change its name again for 60 days . Apart from this rule, a priori, it is possible to change the name an unlimited number of times.