Mistakes when installing a printer can create serious problems, since such equipment itself is designed to solve important work tasks. At the same time, users of personal computers can indeed regularly encounter error 0x0000011b. Therefore, it is better to understand in advance the causes of its occurrence and ways to correct it.
Why error 0x0000011b occurs and what it indicates
Error 0x0000011b when installing a printer can appear for any user. Its occurrence is difficult to predict, but some preventive measures can be taken.
This error indicates that Windows cannot connect to the printer. As a result, you will not be able to use the capabilities of this peripheral equipment.
Most often, the problem lies in the recently released KB5005565 update package for Windows. This collection of innovations does not allow you to connect to the printer without administrator rights, so that ordinary computer users simply will not be able to access the device.
The provided update was intended to fix the PrintNightmare vulnerability when a document is placed in the print queue. Previously, protection did not work until the computer administrator created a new setting in the system registry. Now the parameter is created automatically, which regularly leads to the 0x0000011b error.
How to fix printer connection error 0x0000011b on Windows
If you get error 0x0000011b while connecting the printer to your computer, you need to use one of the following methods. In some cases, on Windows 10, it is advisable to implement each method consistently until the error can be fixed.
Installing update KB5005611
Printer driver installation error 0x0000011b may well be fixed by installing update KB5005611 for the operating system. Microsoft stated that update KB5005565 caused error 0x0000011b to appear when first connecting to a network printer and installing the correct drivers. However, the problem was solved in update KB5005611.
The user just needs to go to the official website of the company, find the required package and download it to your computer. After installing all the necessary components, the error should disappear.
Making changes to the system registry
You can solve the problem without uninstalling updates by making some changes to the system registry in Windows. However, it is important to understand here that after intervention, the computer will no longer be protected from the spooler spoofing vulnerability.
- Press the Win + R buttons on the keyboard.
- In the window that appears, enter regedit and confirm the request with the Enter button.
- In the registry editor that opens, open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrint.
- Right-click on an empty area of the window, then select “New” – “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Name the parameter “RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled”.
- Double-click the left button to open the properties of the parameter and set its code to “0”.
- Save changes and restart your computer.
Next, you need to try to print over the network. If the source of the problem is identified correctly, the error should disappear.
Installing the Local Printer Driver
Another effective and reliable way to resolve error 0x0000011 with PrintNightmare and MSHTML protection enabled is to add the problematic printer to the local port.
To implement the plan, you must follow the following algorithm:
- Press the Win + R buttons and activate the Run window.
- In the line that appears, type control and press enter.
- In the control panel, find the search bar, and then enter “Devices and Printers” in it.
- Left-click on the found match.
- Click on “Add a Printer”.
- Wait for the system to scan, and then click on the “The required printer is not in the list” button.
- In the new window, select the item “Add a local … printer with manual settings”, and then click on the “Next” button.
- Click on the line “Create a new port” and select “Local Port”.
- Enter the name of the network port and click on the “OK” button.
- Select the manufacturer of the printer to which you want to connect, and select the appropriate driver. Wait while the drivers are downloaded and installed on your computer.
- Click on the “Finish” button.
The settings window will close and the new printer will appear on the Devices and Printers page. You need to try to print something and make sure there are no errors.
Removing problematic update KB5005565
A previously configured printer could “fall off” from the operating system after one of the updates. This was faced by many users who were forced to quickly look for a way out of this situation.
The easiest way is to immediately remove the update kb5005565, which makes certain adjustments to the system security settings. However, experienced specialists do not recommend resorting to such a radical method, leaving the computer open to all sorts of vulnerabilities.
If, nevertheless, it is decided to remove the update, you must do the following:
- Press the Windows + R keys.
- In the window that appears, enter the appwiz.cpl command and confirm the request.
- At the top of the new window, click on View Installed Updates.
- Find update KB500556 and uninstall it.
It remains only to restart the computer and check if the problem is solved.
The described methods in most cases help to cope with the 0x0000011b error when connecting to a printer. At the same time, it is desirable to avoid the complete removal of system components, trying to fix the problem with minimal risks to the functionality and security of the operating system.