You can easily expand the functions and appearance of smartwatches with the Wear OS (formerly Android Wear) operating system by downloading additional apps. But how do you do that? In this guide, we explain how you can easily install additional apps on your smartwatch!
All current smartwatches that use the Google operating system Wear OS have direct access to the Play Store. However, this is not the only way to load new applications or new watch faces onto your smartwatch.
How do I install new Wear OS apps from my smartphone?
This is perhaps the easiest way to install new apps or watch faces on your Wear OS smartwatch. Because from here you can have a look at the app before you download it to make sure it is interesting or useful. To install new apps on your watch, simply download them:
- Open the Google Play Store on your smartphone
- Tap categories
- Scroll until you find the Wear OS entry from Google
- Download and install the selected applications
Once this is done, there will be a notification that will guide you through installing the same app on your smartwatch.
How do I install new Wear OS apps from my smartwatch?
Since the introduction of Android Wear 2.0, which was later renamed Wear OS, the smart watches have been able to access the Play Store directly. If you want to install an app directly on your smartwatch, these steps are sufficient:
- Opens the list of installed applications (usually by pressing one of the buttons on the watch)
- Opens the Google Play store
- Search the list of apps and choose what you want to install
However, it is not very clear to scroll through the apps directly on the wrist. Therefore I recommend using the smartphone for this. Then you can see the thumbnails in the Play Store.
- Wear OS: The new look makes your smartwatch better
Did you find this guide helpful? Do you have any interesting apps or watch faces to recommend?