Often, users are faced with the problem of accessing the network in Chrome or another browser, which appears one-time or systematically. Pages do not open, and instead the browser gives an error message “Internet access is closed” with the code ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED. There is a failure both in Windows 10, 7 and other assemblies. In addition, a connection error may appear with the message “Connection interrupted. It looks like you are connected to a different network ”and with the ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED code. Why the browser does not go to the requested site and how to fix the problem of access to the Internet, we will consider. You can fix the problem if you have administrator rights on the computer.
Reasons for the ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error
To fix the problem, you need to find out why the browser was denied access to the network connection. An error with the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED code can occur for the following reasons:
- The network connection is blocked by antivirus, firewall (built-in, third-party) or other software.
- Exposure to malware.
- Incorrect operation of a router, modem, failure of network equipment.
- Problems with the physical cable connection.
- Fault on the provider side.
- Corrupted, outdated device drivers.
- Browser crashes, incorrect profile settings and other reasons.
The error with the ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED code is due to changes in the network parameters that were previously set and used by the browser. It is not uncommon for a connection to fail when a device connects to a different network during a site go request, after a router reboot and reconnection, or if the operating system is using a different network adapter. Then the failure appears one-time and no longer bothers. It is more difficult to look for the cause when the malfunction is systematic. Any of the above factors that cause an access denied error can provoke the problem of an interrupted connection. In addition, the reasons may also be:
- Unstable operation or conflict of installed virtual network adapters, as well as VPN software.
- Incorrect operation of the IPv6 protocol.
- Connecting the device to a new router, the presence of several networks in the access area.
Do not forget that if we are talking about a corporate network, the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error may be caused by the prohibition of Internet access set by the administrator, then it will be more difficult to bypass it.
Solution methods ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED
Often, network access problems are solved by ordinary page reloading, but if after that the malfunction still appears, you will have to deal with it by other methods. Fixing the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error is to eliminate the source of the trouble. Before looking for software reasons, you need to check the physical connection to the network, since the wire could simply move away, be interrupted or poorly crimped, which often leads to connection errors.
It is not often possible to identify the culprit right away, so usually the decision comes already during the events. Let’s consider how to fix the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error depending on the provoking factor.
Checking running software on your computer
First, you should check if the pages are loaded in other browsers. If so, the network connection is blocked by some software on the computer. Often the reason for restricting access to the Internet is the built-in Windows firewall, third-party Firewall, antivirus or other protective software. You can find out by going to the program settings and checking the network connection rules.
Windows Firewall settings can be checked as follows:
- Go to Control Panel and open Windows Firewall.
- In the menu on the left, there is an option to disable the defender. Using it, you can check if the error has disappeared.
- There is also another solution. We open “Additional parameters”.
- Here you need to see if the Rules for outbound connection contain prohibitions, they are marked with a red icon.
If so, press RMB and select the “Disable rule” or “Delete” option.
- We also check for prohibitions in the Rules for incoming connections and act the same way, if any.
After completing these steps, we check if the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error has disappeared. You can also reset the settings of the built-in Windows firewall, for which in the left menu of the Defender, you need to select the option “Restore defaults” and confirm the action.
If any third-party firewalls are installed on the computer, we check if this software is the culprit for blocking access to the network and fix the problem in a similar way.
Checking the network connection or router
Another common cause of network access errors is a lack of connection. The problem can be related to both connection problems, and network equipment failure or hardware malfunctions. To fix the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error, follow these steps:
- We go to the connection settings and check the network parameters.
- Restart the router (if used) and check if the problem is gone.
- Since there is a possibility of a problem at the provider level, it will not be possible to resolve the issue on your own, so you need to contact the operator of the service provider to clarify the situation.
Deleting Google Chrome Profile
If the problem lies in the browser profile settings, the ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error will help fix its removal. To do this, we proceed as follows:
- Open the “Run” console (press Win + R).
- Enter in the line% LOCALAPPDATA% Google Chrome User Data (or% USERPROFILE% Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome User Data for Windows XP).
- We are looking for a directory called Default and rename it to Default.old.
If the source of the error was incorrect profile settings, this method will solve the problem.
Other methods of elimination
If the above methods did not help, you can try the following:
- We troubleshoot network problems using Windows (go to Control Panel – Troubleshoot – Internet connection or click on the network icon in the PCM tray and select “Troubleshoot”).
- We exclude the possibility of a computer infection with malicious software and the presence of adware by scanning the device with special tools. We remove unwanted programs when they are detected.
- We check the IP address in the control panel of the router, and also open the connection properties (Control Panel – Network Connections, right-click on your connection icon or launch the window with the cpl command from the Run console), then select the IP protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click the “Properties” button. The parameters for obtaining an IP address and DNS server automatically should be active here.
- The ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED interrupted connection error and many other connection problems can often be corrected by resetting and clearing the Windows DNS cache.
- Disable or remove installed virtual network adapters, as well as VPN software.
- Disable IPv6 for connection, for which we go to its properties, find IP version 6 (TCP / IPv6) in the list of components and uncheck the box opposite, confirm the action by clicking OK. After that, we disconnect from the network and connect again.
- Disable proxy servers for browsers. The universal method for Windows 10, 8, 7 is to go to the Control Panel and open “Network and Internet”, then select “Browser options”. Here, on the “Connections” tab, click the “Network Settings” button, in a new window, uncheck the boxes next to the “Use a proxy server for local connections” and “Automatic detection of parameters” item, and then apply the changes.
Each of these methods will be effective in one case or another. They do not differ in complexity and can be performed by not too advanced users, but sometimes you have to go through several options before solving the problem.