Android makes it very easy to block SMS or calls from one or more unwanted contacts. We will explain the procedure to follow to effectively screen calls and no longer feel annoyed at the sight of a masked or boring number.
There are many reasons to block a contact and there are also many solutions to achieve its ends. Either by setting up black lists if the smartphone allows it or manually blocking each contact. The procedure remains essentially the same for all manufacturers. The titles of the options can however change a little. We suggest you take a tour of the main Android manufacturers.SUMMARY
Android Stock: Steps to Block a Phone Number
It’s very simple, on most Android smartphones:
- Open the Phone app
- Go to the recent calls section
- Choose a number to block and long press on it
- Tap Block number
There is also another method, which also allows you to consult the list and remove blocked numbers if necessary:
- Go to the Phone application > Settings (or the menu with three dots)> Call barring
- The list of blocked numbers will appear
- You can then add or delete numbers manually
On EMUI, it’s a little different:
- Go to Phone> Settings> Spam filter ,
- Go to the Settings at the top right to access the black (and white) list.
You can delete a number from the list or add a number manually, from contacts, call log or messaging.
Depending on the versions of Android and the overlays, there will not necessarily be the possibility of defining precise rules like on some smartphones. It is sometimes possible to block all numbers that are not in our directory, but this is a bit of an extreme measure.
This is why we offer below more detailed methods for the most popular smartphone brands.
Block calls on a Samsung smartphone
- Open the Phone app
- Select the number to block then touch MORE at the top right
- Select Add to Auto Reject List
- You can consult this list in Phone> Settings (via the three dots at the top right)> Calls> All calls> Auto Reject list
Block calls on an LG smartphone
- Open the Phone app
- Go to the three dots at the top right
- Select Call settings> Call rejection
- Select Call reject mode
- Choose Reject calls from the list
- In the previous screen go to Reject all calls from
- Add numbers by going to More at the top right of the screen then New number
- To reject calls with a hidden number choose Private number
Block calls on an HTC smartphone
- Block the number directly in the list of your calls by making a long press on it and choosing Block
- It is possible to do the same in the SMS / MMS application
Block calls on a Xiaomi smartphone
- Go to your call list
- Press the unwanted number for 2-3 seconds
- Choose Block
- Hop! It’s over !
Block calls on a Huawei smartphone
- You must first create a contact with the unwanted number
- Find his file in your directory once created
- Go to the menu then touch Add to automatic rejection list
Applications to block calls
For users whose smartphone does not have adequate options, it is also possible to go through the applications in the Play Store. We find some like Blacklist , Call Blocker or Call Control , the goal of each of them is to help us have peace.
Orange, SFR, Bouygues, Free Mobile: your operator can also block on its side
Operators can directly block the numbers of your choice on their side. For some operators, you have to call customer service directly, while for others, everything can be done via the customer interface.
- Go to your Free Mobile subscriber area by clicking here
- Go to Manage my account> My services
- Activate the Call & SMS / MMS Filters service
- Add the numbers of your choice in Incoming Communication Filtering
- Make sure when adding that you choose the Block action for this number
- Click on Save
Orange offers an Orange Telephone application which allows this blocking to be carried out.
SFR offers an application, SFR Antispam , directly on the Google Play Store. You can add the numbers you want to block.
Bouygues offers the Appels & You app directly on the Play Store. Application which filters the calls of your choice (which amounts to blocking them). And reject anonymous calls, among other features.
It should also be noted that the government has put in place a Bloctel device , in an attempt to stop telephone spam and the incessant canvassing of certain companies. Unfortunately, the service is incredibly ineffective, which is why we don’t recommend it.
And you, what is your favorite method to block a number on your Android?